The Swayze House is located at 122 Oakdale Road. The small stone part of the house on the right was built by John Swayze (or Sweazy, there are many variations). He and his cousin Samuel were one of the first settlers in Black River. They came from Southold, Long Island in the years 1737-1740, intending to farm. They did, and they prospered, so that John Swayze’s descendants could build a large and fashionable house in 1790 next to his first house of 1740. The new brick portion dates from the 1790s. The Swayze family resided here through the 19th century.
This was a general farm until Ria and Lowry Mead bought it in 1952 and planted 1,000 apple and 2,000 peach trees. The apple trees still bear for pick-it-yourself fun at Riamede Farm.