At 100 Oakdale Road, this brick factory building was erected between 1892 and 1896 by Edmund and Regina Sturzenegger. They were Swiss immigrants who introduced the first Swiss embroidery machines to the United States. They had established a large factory in the Bronx, NY, and relocated their business to Chester in 1891. Many local people found employment in the new factory, located next to the DL&W railroad tracks and station.
Swiss embroidery was done for slippers, dresses, and handkerchiefs both in this factory and apparently as piece-work in local homes. After Mrs. Sturzenegger’s death in 1909, the business was operated by her son William, until it closed during the Depression. During WWII the building was used as a paper coating company. The building was acquired by Simmonds Precision in 1946.